I’m totally convinced that the best way to learn anything is through having a hobby project. I’m so convinced about that, that I created a free 8-lesson YouTube course around that topic!
Well I’ve just finished “walking the talk” of that course - a 31 day streak of moving a hobby project forward from zero to basic features complete:
I developed a small Angular 2 application, with a few very simple goals:
- Learn about using Firebase for Backend Storage (essentially a serverless* application)
- Create an app I actually need. In my case, that was an app to make use of my Pocket links when generating eNewsletter (in my case the Motivated Programmer newsletter. You should sign up!)
- Build something substantial in Angular 2 and get a feel for whether I’d like it on larger apps.
So I birthed “PuppyMail” to scratch that itch.
Well PuppyMail delivered in spades on those three objectives. With the TL/DR being:
- Firebase is all kinds of awesome. Particularly when coupled with AngularFire2.
- I could deliver “Cradle to Grave” on all the basic features that I wanted in this app in 29 hours - or basically a month of hobby hacking every day.
- Angular 2 all the things! I love this framework so much.